As an avid soccer fan, I decided to change ESPN.com to German and read a few articles about the Barclays Premier League in German. To be honest, there was only a few words that I understood and some words that I was able to figure out. For example, I figured out that the word "Fußball" means soccer which was quite easy because "Fuseball" in English is a mini-soccer game (similar size to ping pong). However, words that I needed to look up were "ein Tor" which I learned was "a goal", "Bewegung" which means "movement", and "angreifen" which means "to attack." There were many other words that I had to look up but as far as words that I saw constantly repeated, those were the main three.
Soccer, or Fußball, is a hard sport to understand when people are explaining it to you in your native language, let alone in one that you just started learning a few weeks ago. There are many phrases in English soccer, idioms, that I don't believe translate in German. I would also assume from reading this article that there are some German phrases that don't translate well to English. I do not think I am anywhere near being able to read articles about soccer in German, however, I am hoping to one day go to Deutscheland and watch a Bayern Munich match. Maybe in a year or two...
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.