I thought that "Two-Wheel Teutons: Stay off the Bike Path!" was an interesting article. I know that in America, we always yield to the walking pedestrian. I did not realize how dangerous it was to be near bicyclists in Germany, and if I ever do go there I will keep that in mind. I can't believe that they would not stop for a person walking near them.
"The Red Dictator: Crossing the Strasse" was also interesting, especially because I live in Ann Arbor. Here, we don't really pay attention to the stop lights. We just assume that cars will stop, and we tend to walk across the street. In Germany, however, they take the stop lights extremely seriously. I also would have to remember this if I ever went to Germany.
"Fare Dodgers Beware: There's no such thing as a free ride" was enlightening for me. Honestly, if I found out that the subway was based on the honors system, I would not purchase a ticket... I'm glad that I read this article though. I would have been the person who would be looked down upon by all of the people on the subway when they close the doors.
I found some of the Kultur articles in the book interesting too. I did not know that you had to be 17 to begin driving lessons in Germany. I started when I was exactly 14 and 8 months because I wanted to drive so badly. I could not have waited that long. On the contrary, however, I really admire the fact that if Germans have to go a short distance, they do not drive. It makes a lot more sense to ride a bike or walk somewhere that is not that far, rather than drive a car. It is also a lot better for the environment. I wish Americans were more like this.
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.