Dienstag, 19. November 2013
Kultur 5 Andrew Kim
I decided to write about the article, "No Blood, No Entschuldigung." I found it to be a very insightful piece and one that broadened my views of how politeness is measured in different communities. The article is not saying that Germans are innately rude or impolite, just that they are more used to dealing with every day physical contact that some of us are. I find myself to be a somewhat polite person, and when I bump into people while walking on the street I usually say "excuse me." However, in Germany this is usually not the case, as people accept the fact that everyone has somewhere they need to be and uttering formalities of politeness only slows both parties down. In America, even in the crowded streets of New York City, it is still commonly seen as polite to say "excuse me" if you bump into or jostle another person. This is a very contrasting scene to the German public centers. I thought it was enlightening, and if I ever go to Germany, I probably won't forget my manners, but I won't feel offended if someone knocks me over in an attempt to get to work on time... unless they draw blood. In which case, I will expect and "Entschuldigung!"
Abonnieren
Kommentare zum Post (Atom)
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.